Re: Oracle file managerCLOSE

From: Tom Donnelly <tdonnell_at_ncrsoph.Sophia.NCR.COM>
Date: 5 Oct 92 09:00:56 GMT

In article <FDaZRB1w165w_at_netlink.cts.com> tumidity_at_netlink.cts.com (Joel Garry) writes:
>sstephen_at_us.oracle.com writes:
>>

>I seem to recall reading that you can mount the oracle database "raw"
>on a unix system, and it would run faster. Anybody have any actual
>experience with this? And is it in ORACLE7?

  Yes, you do get a boost in performance by using raw devices for your database   files. The amount of a boost you get is always been up for debate. Some   people say you can get 25% performance increases after moving from file system   data files to raw devices. This number should be disputed though, as moving   from file system database files to raw devices requires doing a full export,   creating a new database on raw devices, and a full import. This puts all of   your table in contiguous blocks. I think 10% to 15% is more likely, depending   on your disks, file system, and probably the version of the os. Sorry I can't   help you with Oracle V7, but I probably won't see a copy of that unitl the   middle of next year.

  To set up a 'raw' device as an Oracle data file, you must change the   permissions and ownersip of the raw device to be used.

  For example, to set up a raw device for /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s2

	as root:	chown oracle /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s2
 			chgrp dba /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s2
			chmod 660 /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s2

  Then, to utilize the partition, just put the raw device file name in place of   the datafile name in the CREATE TABLESPACE or ALTER TABLESPACE command.

  If you are converting an existing database, you must perform a full database   export, create a new database utilizing raw devices, and then perform a full   database import.

  Bon Chance!

Tom Donnelly               | WIN: Tom.Donnelly_at_Sophia        | Its ok - my boss
NCR Europe Group ISS       | UUCP: ..ncrcom!ncrsoph!tdonnell | doesn't believe
Sophia Antipolis, Valbonne |                                 | me either.
France, 		   | TEL: 33-92 94 45 40             |
			   | FAX: 33-92 94 45 45             |