Re: Oracle on a PC?

From: <sstephen_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1992 01:46:36 GMT

In article <1992Sep25.185317.2899_at_spss.com>, brent_at_spss.com (Brent Lambert) writes:
> Regarding the following scenario:
> 386 PC
> DOS 5
> MS Windows
> No network
>
> Is there a version of Oracle 6 which will run both a server and
> clients (Windows Pro*C) in that environment? What is the product
> called? What is a valid connect string? How does client programming
> differ from writing a Windows, Pro*C program that will access an
> Oracle Server for OS/2 over Lan Manager?

DOS is a non-multitasking operating system, so an Oracle 6 database for DOS is basically a single client database. Your programs are written the same way on a local DOS database or a remote multitasking database. Even if you didn't put in any special connect string in your program, I could access my local database with the connect string "S:" or a remote database with "X:server", "T:host:sid", "A:...", etc., by setting up my CONFIG.ORA. So, accessing local versus remote is one detail you don't have to worry about when programming.

> --
> The above statements are not the opinions or policies of SPSS Inc.
> The above statements may not be the opinions of Brent Lambert.
> The first disclaimer is a policy of SPSS Inc.
> Subsequent disclaimers are probably the opinion of Brent Lambert.

Scott Stephens -- soley representing his own vain rantings. Received on Mon Sep 28 1992 - 02:46:36 CET

Original text of this message