Oracle for Windows DDE/Toolbook Interface: BUG?

From: Russ Chamberlain <russc_at_csg.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1992 18:55:35 GMT

Hi all,

  I've just begun to use the "Oracle for Windows DDE/Toolbook Interface" version 1.1 under Windows 3.1 (just the DDE aspect of the package). I haven't come across any problems with the basic functionality of the DDE interface; but I have come across what appears to be a BUG.

  The bug manifests itself whenever I issue a DDERequest with a SELECT statement containing > 127 characters (approx). Now (this is where it gets interesting) if I add whitespace to the SELECT, or rearrange it so that a different clause is on or near the 127th character, I GET DIFFERENT ORACLE ERRORS that seem to point to the clause near the 127th character.

  I've issued DDEPoke messages that set the SQLBUFFER to values between 256 and 5000 bytes (and I've verified the POKE using the DDE MGR); but this seems to have no effect on the problem. For now, I can shorten my table and column names to keep queries less than 127 characters long, but I'd like to determine if:

  1. I've missed something obvious; or
  2. the problem is a _known_ bug that I must either put up with; or
  3. there's a newer version of the package I should obtain; or
  4. there's some other answer.

Thanks in advance for any help,

  • Russ -- Russ Chamberlain | <- Weed picker/toy collector extraordinaire/ | University of Waterloo | handyman wannabe/electron choreographer/ | Computer Systems Group | punmeister/not embarassed to say "Neat!" | russc_at_csg.uwaterloo.ca | "The above are MY views, not CSG's or UW's" |