Re: Oracle for Mac and DAL

From: Thomas Cox <tcox_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 92 15:54:17 GMT

glarsson_at_igc.apc.org (Gustav Larsson) writes:

>I have read in several places that Oracle "supports" DAL, but
>the Oracle sales rep I talked with could not confirm this. In
>what way does Oracle support DAL? I am interested in using DAL
>to connect some front-ends that we already have with Oracle
>Server for Mac, which we also have. Can this be done? Are
>there other Oracle server products that support DAL? Thanks!

>-Gustav Larsson (glarsson_at_igc.org)

DAL belongs to Apple. I believe that the networking widgets that you can buy that let DAL clients attach to Oracle databases are made by Apple or by third parties. You can't get it from Oracle, to the best of my (limited) knowledge.

DAL does the same basic thing that Oracle's SQL*Net does. None of Oracle's front end tools supports DAL, so far as I know (confirmation, anyone? direction in future?) and DAL software connects to Oracle on VAX VMS and perhaps a few Unix boxes. I've never even heard of someone using DAL to get to an Oracle Server for Macintosh.

In a magazine review a year or two ago, SQL*Net was rated much faster than (several times as fast as) DAL. It was also rated higher than the net product from TechGnosis. The TechGnosis product might be of use to you in your circumstance, if it's been ported to work with O.Server for Mac. Does anybody know?

Good luck.

--
Tom Cox      DoD #1776   '91 CB 750 Nighthawk   tcox_at_netcom.netcom.com
 This note is my exercise of my First Amendment right to make a fool of