Re: SQL*Net using multiple protocols

From: Bailey Bob <p228_at_uni05.larc.nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1992 20:58:29 GMT

In article <1569_at_rwja.umdnj.edu> holowczk_at_rwja.umdnj.edu (Richard Holowczak) writes:

>We are thinking of setting up a Novell Netware LAN and running
>Oracle Server for Netware. For PCs on the LAN, we would use the IPX/SPX
>version of SQL*Net. So far this is nothing earth shattering. We
>also intend on connecting this LAN up to the university network which
>is based on TCP/IP. The network people tell me there should be no
>problems if we would like to access the Oracle database from a remote
>site by going accross the Internet. For PCs this is not a problem.
>
>We have several users with Sun workstations who would also like to
>have access to the Oracle database on the Novell server. We also
>have some people who would like to dial in from home and have
>access to the database.
>
>What are our options in terms of using SQL*Net
>to do these tasks?
>
>What would performace be like?
>
>Users would like
>to be able to run SQL*Forms, SQL*Plus and SQL*Menus. Is anyone out
>there using SQL*Net Asynchronus?

We developed an application that runs in an environment that is somewhat similar to yours. The application is distributed across 8 servers. A rough description of the environment follows:

  • 8 DECstation 5000's connected via TCP/IP form the application servers
  • User access is provided via TCP/IP User workstations include PCs, Macs, & Sun Sparcs
  • The above is located on the NASA Langley Research Center and this incorporates many different buildings across the Langley campus.
  • Another DECstation 5000 is located 2 miles away in our contractor office. This is a development machine. In our office, we access the development machine via PCs that are connected to a Novell network. As I understand it, the Novell net is embedded in TCP/IP packets. The office is also connected to the Langley campus via a T-1 line running TCP/IP. From each PC, we can connect to either the development 5000 or to any of the 8 production servers. The production servers and the development machine have SQL*Net installed for Oracle database access. None of the PCs have SQL*Net. They are all running FTP's PC/TCP software which permits TCP/IP access using telnet with VT220 emulation.

With this environment we have a satisfactory and reliable solution to user access. With this solution, the PCs, Macs, & Sun are used as terminals, so SQL*Net was not needed for these platforms. Dial-up access is available and provided by a Cisco box. All of the dial-up lines enter the Cisco box and allow the dial-up user to telnet into any of the machines on the net. I have accessed several of the Oracle databases by using my PC from home to dial into the net. I have not had any problems with any of the Oracle products when accessed via dial-up; this includes SQL*Forms 3.0, SQL*Plus, & SQL*ReportWriter.

Bob Bailey, p228_at_uni05.larc.nasa.gov
Paramax/Unisys Received on Thu Sep 10 1992 - 22:58:29 CEST

Original text of this message