Re: How to print something in PL/SQL

From: <dlm_at_hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: 10 Sep 92 12:47:21 CST

mmcgreg_at_uswnvg.com (Mark McGregor) writes:
> : Oracle, in their infinite wisdom, has deemed it appropriate that PL/SQL
> : have no native print utilities.
> :
> Sybase has already implemented stored procedures
> as part of there kernel and also includes a message and error facility
> with the following specifications:
>
> if exist (select * from table) where something = something
> print "something"
> [and]
> Raiserror #### 'message'

It seems to me that Oracle could create a v$ table with columns sessionid, message. Make the "message" function one of the pl/sql kernel built-ins. The function inserts to the invisible v$ table. When the pl/sql function finishes, SQL*Plus can dump out the contents of the V$ table; SQL*forms can write the contents to the message line; SQL*reportwriter can write it to the report file. and so on. Oracle guys?

--
Dave Mausner, Senior Consultant / Datalogics Inc / Chicago IL / 312-266-4450
dlm_at_dlogics.com                                 Motto: Just show me the code