Data loss

From: Howard Brenner <howard_at_monitor.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1992 22:12:22 GMT

As a preface I am working on a NeXT machine with version 6 of oracle and 2.2 of the OS.

Has anyone ever encountered the following problem? I had left for the weekend and when I returned I had noticed that the data in my tables had been changed to values I had in the system about a week before. When I questioned my database administrator as to whether or not he had restored the database from a backup he had said he had not. All he he did was change the IP address of the NetInfo server and added a control file to the init.ora, shutdown and restart the database.

Before contacting technical support I had tried a database recover (it said it the database was not corrupted) and an export and import of the tables in question. When this did not cure the problem I contacted the oracle tech support and the supporter said to restore the database to a previous version (the version I had when I left on friday) and recover the database.

Needless to say this answer does not quiet the fear that this might happen again.

Thanks for the help!

   Howard Received on Wed Sep 09 1992 - 00:12:22 CEST

Original text of this message