Re: Need info on UNIX relational databases

From: Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_cc.swarthmore.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1992 09:08:20 GMT

In article <lanmsiINN2j2_at_jethro.Corp.Sun.COM> Jon Roland, jdr_at_starflight.Corp.Sun.COM writes:
>Ingres Corporation
>1080 Marina Village Parkway
>Alameda, CA 94501 USA
>510/769-1400
>Ingres Relational DBMS
>SQL-based RDBMS
>
>Oracle Corporation
>500 Oracle Parkway MD 40P-690
>Redwood Shores, CA 94065 USA
>415/506-7000
>Oracle
>SQL-based RDBMS

I am currently being presented with a choice between these two products for installation on our Ultrix systems. At the moment, our interest is not based on a particular application, but on the installation of one of these products to explore its use for internally developed applications and, most importantly, for educational purposes. Our desktop machines are
all Macintosh, so support on that end plays a big part (in this respect, I
know that Oracle offers many MacOS products - I don't know how well they work in practice).

Any tips on the relative advantages/disadvantages of either product especially relative to performance, market penetration, and support for Macintosh workstations would be much appreciated.

If anyone can point to any recent publications carrying a comparison between these products or a review of one or the other, that would be very helpful and save you some typing.

Glenn Stauffer
Swarthmore College Computing Center Received on Tue Sep 08 1992 - 11:08:20 CEST

Original text of this message