Beginner's questions

From: marianne.g.pittorino <gerette_at_cbnewsb.cb.att.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1992 15:17:00 GMT

Hi Oracle Users!
I am just beginning to learn about Oracle and I have some really basic questions. I have just started reading this newsgroup and the little I have read impresses me greatly. I would appreciate it if some kind person would send me some answers (whether in e-mail or another posting is fine -- whatever you think is appropriate).

  1. Is it better to create a small database initially and add tablespaces to the database instead of creating a large database initially?
  2. Is it better to have lots of little tablespaces or fewer, larger tablespaces?
  3. Are temporary tables and indices easily created/dropped within an application using Pro*C?
  4. How do you completely destroy a database (i.e., no more datafiles, no more control files, no more anything; I want it to seem as if the database NEVER existed!)? Could I just remove all files associated with the database or is there some internal table that would be really upset if I did?
  5. I created a tablespace, then dropped it (including contents). Why isn't the datafile removed and why does the row for the tablespace (status = INVALID) still exist in dba_tablespaces?
  6. Is there any easy way to rename tables (aside from selecting into the new table and dropping the old table)? Likewise, is there any easy way to rename columns? The RDBMS I use now has simple rename commands: rename (old_table_name, new_table_name) rename_col (table, old_column_name, new_column_name) Does anything like this exist in Oracle?
  7. How is fragmentation monitored and how is it repaired?

If an FAQ file exists for this group, please tell me how I can get a copy. I don't want to rehash the same old questions over and over.

Thank you,
Marianne G. Pittorino Received on Wed Sep 02 1992 - 17:17:00 CEST

Original text of this message