Comparison of Oracel/Ingres/Sybase on a VMS platform

From: <sudhir_at_csc.wcc.govt.nz>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1992 19:00:57 GMT

hi netland!

This is a request for information on the following 3 databases Oracle, Ingres and Sybase.

We (a local body) work on a 90 VUP VAX cluster of 6 machines and several DECStations and about a 100Pcs using Pathworks to connect to the cluster and about a 1000 terminals (500 users logged on at any one time). We use VMS primarily and there is no plan to move to another platform in the near future but would still like our chosen database to be portable.

We are starting on a comparative study of these 3 databases (or if someone can suggest some other one eg Progress, Recital etc) and would like some experiences of people in the netland. We would like information on

  • Performance
  • Development tools availability (vendor provided and 3rd party)
  • Multi-database access from within applications
  • a good API for use in GIS systems to get at the data from a C application
  • data types and flexibility in defining and using new ones

Any help will be very useful and will make our task seem a bit easier. We have until 15th October to submit our report so quick help will be very much appreciated.

Sudhir Motwani, Consultant                              Voice: 64-4- 8013321
Information Technology                                  Fax  : 64-4- 8013020
Wellington City Council                       Domain: sudhir_at_csc.wcc.govt.nz
P O Box 2199,Wellington                   PSImail: PSI%0530147000090::SUDHIR
New Zealand                      UUCP: ...!munnari!vuwcomp!kosmos!csc!sudhir