Re: maxdatafiles -- inquiry/update

From: Daniel Benson <dbenson_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1992 16:01:52 GMT

In article <z=cnvvk.esc_at_netcom.com> esc_at_netcom.com (Steve Etchelecu) writes:

>I am looking for a method to inquire on the current value for
>the MAXDATAFILES parameter which was set when a database is created.
>
>More importantly, I am looking for a method to increase this value
>without having to recreate the database.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Steve Etchelecu
>esc_at_netcom.netcom.com

I don't know any way to find the current MAXDATAFILES; however, if you want to increase it with out re-creating your database use the CREATE CONTROLFILE command to re-create your control files with a larger value for MAXDATAFILES. I don't think the command is documented in the DBA guide for V6, it was added in 6.0.27 I believe. You will find it documented in the readme file in the rdbms directory. Be very careful with this command, make sure you have a cold backup of all your database files (i.e. redo,control, and data) before using it. Good luck, -d Received on Thu Aug 27 1992 - 18:01:52 CEST

Original text of this message