Re: Customization of SQL*Forms.

From: Stephen Schow <sjs_at_netcom.com>
Date: 26 Aug 92 23:48:50 GMT

What is all this talk about no more INP files? If they eliminate INP files, they better be providing a different text interface. Otherwise they might as well be chopping our fingers off. INP files are extremely useful for doing automatic things. I can write awk scripts that manipulate them, generate them, copy them with global substitutions, etc... More often than not, copying an object from one INP file to another is much easier than using the copy utilitiy in forms3.0. I can quickly copy an entire form and than do a global search and replace to create a similar-yet-different new form.

This list goes on.

I know that Oracle does not support the editing of INP files, but that does not take away from their usefullness.

Another great example I just thought of if the use of RCS. I usually check my INP files into RCS and therefore have complete revision tracking and control. Not only that, but I can have the current revision value automatically appear on the form through creative INP usage.

I hope that the right people read this news group and realize that everyone I have ever talked to about Oracle on the net does stuff with the INP file directly and they are probably making a huge mistake by assuming that developers don't want to know about it...unless this is some sort of ploy to get us to buy their CASE tools, which many sites can't afford anyway.

COMMENTS ANYONE?

Steve Schow | But you don't have to use the claw, if you sjs_at_netcom.com | pick the pear with the big paw paw...... | Have I given you a clue......? | - Baloo the Bear