Re: Freeing disk space

From: David Bath <dtb_at_otto.bf.rmit.oz.au>
Date: 27 Aug 92 01:17:20 GMT

howard_at_monitor.com (Howard Brenner) writes:

>When you issues a drop or delete command in oracle (then a commit) does
>oracle free up the disk space to be reused by someone else or does it just
>move on to the next block it thinks has been usused? If it doen't "free"

Whoa ! You essentially preallocate disk and give it to Oracle to manage (especially if you are using raw disk).

No disk is given back to the OS when a table is deleted (Have I understood your comment correctly?)

I you are only talking about dataspace inside an Oracle tablespace, then that is a different matter and I am not sure of the answer

David T. Bath
email: 	dtb_at_otto.bf.rmit.oz.au
Work: 	Global Technology Corporation, Carlton, Vic, OZ  (03) 3477511