Re: Freeing disk space

From: Daniel Benson <dbenson_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1992 17:38:44 GMT

In article <BtK57E.HFE_at_monitor.com> howard_at_monitor.com (Howard Brenner) writes:
>When you issues a drop or delete command in oracle (then a commit) does
>oracle free up the disk space to be reused by someone else or does it just
>move on to the next block it thinks has been usused? If it doen't "free"
>the disk is there a way i can tell oracle that I'm really done with it and
>let it reuse the space. I seem to notice that when I create some very
>large tablespaces after a lot of drops, creates and deletes i run out of
>tablespace!
>
>thanks!

Howard,

Tablespaces are created for the life of the database. The only way to free up the space is to drop the tablespace. There were several problems with block cleanup that have been fixed in 6.0.34. One issue is that the kernel doesn't always do block cleanup when you do an update or delete because of performance considerations. The way to force block cleanup is to do a full table scan. Something that most applications try to avoid. Other ideas: check out percent used vs. percent free in your create commands. Export, drop, re-create and import to recover orphan block space and reduce fragmentation. The DBA Guide explains how space is allocated and reused for database objects. -d D
Guide explains how space is allowcated and used for database objects. -d C

and import objects to recover
and import objects to recover space and reduce fragmentation Received on Wed Aug 26 1992 - 12:38:44 CDT