Re: ORAPERL

From: Mick Oyer <mlo_at_cray.com>
Date: 25 Aug 92 15:53:33 CDT

In article 19480_at_stortek.com, v045100_at_otis1.stortek.com (Jennifer Farnham) writes:

>Is anyone out there familiar with ORAPERL?
>
>Supposedly its Perl with embedded Oracle....?
>
>Before I build it on our system, I would like
>to hear from people who are somewhat familiar
>with it.

I use oraperl a lot, not so much for ITs usefulness, but because of the overall usefulness of perl. It's great to just slurp in a set of records, process them any 'ol way you want, and use the formatting options of perl to spit them out.

About the only things lacking are the sqlplus functions (column formatting for example) although perl's printf usually works as well, if not better.

I believe you'll need access to the Pro*C libraries to build oraperl, but as with perl itself, the building is relatively painless (don't quote me, I didn't build it on our system, but have talked to the guy that did).

There's an oraperl man page. It's the only oraperl documentation I've ever needed.

---
   | Michael (Mick) Oyer   EMAIL  :  mlo_at_cherry.cray.com  ||  uunet!cray!mlo   |
   | Sr. Software Analyst  VMAIL  :  work: (612)-683-5855                      |
   | Cray Research, Inc.   USNAIL :  655F Lone Oak Dr., Eagan, MN 55120        |