Oracle and operating systems

From: Alessandro Zorat <zorat>
Date: 20 Aug 92 17:42:32

Hello net friends:

I have a question that perhaps many of you can answer:

Picture the following situation: a network of about 150 PCs (banyan Vines network, Compaq 3/486, windows 3.1, ...) Most of the PC need access to some common data bases taht will be implemented in Oracle.

The question then is: Oracle for which Operating system / environment / machine?

The choices are basically between installing Oracle under DOS, OS/2, Vines (is it possible????), or Unix.
I presume that Unix should provide faster response to queries (coming from the PC's, through OracleCard or similar), but does any of you have any practical experience and/or numbers to support my guess?

Thank you in advance.

--

				Alessandro Zorat
			   (zorat_at_cs.unitn.it)