rollback segments

From: <simon.rear_at_almac.co.uk>
Date: 20 Aug 92 21:22:56 GMT

Hi,

I've recently set up oracle version 6 on a novell network without too many problems. At present there are only three concurrent users ie developers primarily using forms version 3. Sometimes when saving forms to the database I receive the error 'failed to extend roll back segment...'. After analyzing the setup and reading up on rollback segments I adjusted the setup as follows;

Created 4 rollback segments, (in addition to the system rollback segment), each with an initial extent of 1Mb, Max extents 99 and all in the table space 'Rollback_segs' which itself is five Mb's in size.

The sizing I thought would be suitable for the finished application allowing for 10% of the largest table and one rollback segment for each expected concurrent user.

But the error still occurs, seemingly random and infrequent, but still annoying. I monitored the use of the rollback segments and too my surprise found that extents on all four segments had been increased yet the actual amount of data contained never seems to exceed a couple of hundred K no where near the 1Mb mark.

The largest table in the database is only 1Mb and the application has no long running transactions or large sorts. I suspect the problem is perhaps my limited knowledge, (I have only been using oracle for a month! :-) ).

Any Ideas??

Thanks in advance..

Simon.Rear_at_Almac.Co.Uk
---

 ~ OLX 2.1 TD ~ I've seen the truth but it makes no sense
--

ALMAC BBS Ltd. 0324-665371
Dos based USENET access, call for details! Received on Thu Aug 20 1992 - 23:22:56 CEST

Original text of this message