Naming database files - are there rules?

From: Keith Davidson <frozzboz_at_zork.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1992 21:01:48 +0000

In article <1992Aug13.114248.1_at_jaguar.uofs.edu> littlec1_at_jaguar.uofs.edu writes:

> I am about to create a database instance on a VMS system and don't want to use
> the conventional filenames for files such as the system tablespace file
> (ORA_SYSTEM.DMS), or the redo log files. This is because we have multiple
> database instances and want to precede the names of their files with unique
> identifiers so that they can ne recognised easily. For example I'd like to

Why bother, they (instances) are created down directories specific to the instance.

I run ten services on the same cluster this way, no problem identifying the files, the associated files on other disks have service specific directory names, which makes life easier to move the files. My tip is don't over complicate the setup, its hard enough as it is!!

--
frozzboz_at_zork.demon.co.uk  (Keith Davidson)

Watch out The Borg are about