Re: MACINTOSH front ends?

From: BMUG <bmug_at_garnet.berkeley.edu>
Date: 1 Aug 1992 23:06:55 GMT

In article <-0qm#=p.sjs_at_netcom.com> sjs_at_netcom.com (Stephen Schow) writes:
>I would really like to know what other front ends to Oracle(mac) there are
>out there besides Oracle Forms/Mac and Oracle Card. Anybody know?
>
>Specifically, we are using Oracle on a UNIX box and we would like to be able
>to query or whatever from a mac(with user friendliness)

4th Dimension (from ACIUS, Cupertino, CA) and Omnis 7 (from Blyth Software) can be used to frontend an Oracle backend.

Oracle markets Oracle for 4th Dimension, which is a set of externals to manage the link. You'd need to use something else to provide the TCP-IP environment for connecting the Mac and Unix server. This will become considerably easier when Oracle7 ships.

I've heard that Omnis 7 can be used as a good front end tool to Oracle, as well, but I've never seen it in operation. I tend to prefer 4D's development environment more than Omnis', though. The impending release of 4D v.3.0 will provide even nicer tools, though it's uncertain whether Oracle will need to update Oracle for 4D for compatibility.

John Heckendorn

--
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug_at_garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A