Re: Moving ORACLE system tablespace datafiles

From: <dlm_at_hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: 30 Jul 92 22:40:39 CST

slindemn_at_usdsd1.DaytonOH.NCR.COM (Steve Lindeman) writes:
> Many people have posed the question how do I move a system tablespace
> datafile.
> STEPS TO MOVE A SYSTEM TABLESPACE DATAFILE:
> [deleted]
On platforms that support file links, symbolic paths, or logical names, I have found that the best bet is to define a systemwide alias for the path that contains the tablespace(s). If the control file contains this alias-path, then the only steps needed to move any or all tablespaces are:

1. shutdown normal.
2. move tablespace files.
3. redefine systemwide alias to new path.
4. redefine ORA_ROOT if necessary in ORAUSER script.
5. startup.

In VMS, I use rooted logical names with the concealed attribute. Oracle doc makes it sound scary, but it is simply the easiest method to use. If your platform cannot conceal the alias definition, so that the full path always shows up in the control file, then this method is not for you.
--
Dave Mausner, Senior Consultant / Datalogics Inc / Chicago IL / 312-266-4450
dlm_at_dlogics.com                                 Motto: Just show me the code