Occasional SQL*Net error 3111 - anyone else seen it ?

From: Andy Belk <belk_at_dxcern.cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1992 13:58:43 GMT

Hi all,

        We are occasionally seeing an SQL*Net error (described in the manual as "This is an internal error message not normally issued" (aren't they all) number ORA-03111 "break received on communication channel".

We're using an Apollo (Domain 10.3) to run the client program and the orasrv program runs on a DEC 5000 at the other end of an FDDI link.

Whilst the error is attributed to Oracle by it's own error handling mechanism, the problem seems to occur in the same function, which happens to be doing a number of updates (about 100) on the same table in a short space of time.

What we'd like to know is whether something the client is doing (the Pro*C program) is likely to be causing the problem, or whether it is the result of an overloaded orasrv/server computer/unreliable network. Any hints or clues welcome - even just some confirmation that other people have seen the same error.

Thanks,

        Andy Belk

--
					    ...   Anyd   ...