Re: Forms3 ERR - unable to INSERT record

From: Dennis Moore <dbmoore_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1992 02:22:06 GMT

In article <dewey-220792114200_at_sebastian.centerline.com> dewey_at_centerline.com (Devan F. Dewey) writes:
>In article <1992Jul22.105329.244_at_falcon.navsses.navy.mil>,
>huynh_at_falcon.navsses.navy.mil wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>> thanks for reading.
>> I am doing a project on SQLFORMS version 3.0. The project is simply to join
>> three tables in addition with a new one.
>>
>> For every execution, after hitting the commit key, I keep getting the error:
>> FRM 40508 : ORACLE ERROR -- unable to INSERT record
>>
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated. Many thanks.
>
>You cannot use Forms to insert or update data in a view. Forms acutally
>uses the rowid field when performing these tasks and there is no rowid
>field for a view. Views are only useful for query only blocks.
>
>You are going to have to break up the blocks so that the block you which to
>insert from has a base table which is a true table, not a view.
>

> Devan F. Dewey | Senior Systems Analyst
> CenterLine Software | dewey_at_centerline.com
> 10 Fawcett Street | "Leme esplain - no dere is
> Cambridge, MA 02138 | too much. Leme sum up."
> -Inigo Montoya

Actually, see the manual sections on the ON-INSERT, ON-UPDATE, and ON-DELETE. These triggers are specifically useful for updating through views. Incidentally, the fact that Forms uses ROWID has nothing to do with updating or inserting into views based on multiple tables -- this is a SQL restriction.

Good luck!

  • Dennis Moore, my own opinions, etcetcetc