Re: DB file not in DBA_DATA_FILES - problem

From: Chris Little <littlec1_at_jaguar.uofs.edu>
Date: 24 Jul 92 19:40:17 GMT

> I would venture to guess that something is inconsistent in the data dictionary.
> If it is at all possible, then the safest action is to recreate the tablespace
> from an export of the objects that currently reside in it. Does the control
> file still recognize this datafile?

No. I did a dump of the control file to determine that.

> How did you determine that DBWR is
> accessing that datafile which was not successfully added?

On VMS I did a $ SHOW DEVICE/FILE {device-name}, where {device-name} is the name of the disk on which the database files reside. This command tells what files are being accesses and by what processes.

> Did you perform
> the add datafile operation again, using the same datafile name?

Yes, but I got an error saying that that filename already was being used by the database.

>If the
> control file and dba_data_files match, then things should be OK.

This indeed is the case. I shut down the instance and brought it back up again. This eliminated the DBWR process that was accessing the file, so I was then able to delete the file. I wonder what would have happened if I just killed that process at the VMS level, without shutting down the instance.

--

Thank you, Kathy.

--
Chris Little, Programmer/DBA