Re: Forms3 ERR - unable to INSERT record

From: <fams09_at_v7.vitro.com>
Date: 23 Jul 92 08:13:36 -0500

In article <dewey-220792114200_at_sebastian.centerline.com>, dewey_at_centerline.com (Devan F. Dewey) writes:
> In article <1992Jul22.105329.244_at_falcon.navsses.navy.mil>,
> huynh_at_falcon.navsses.navy.mil wrote:

>> For every execution, after hitting the commit key, I keep getting the error:
>> FRM 40508 : ORACLE ERROR -- unable to INSERT record
>>
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Many thanks.

> You cannot use Forms to insert or update data in a view. Forms acutally
> uses the rowid field when performing these tasks and there is no rowid
> field for a view. Views are only useful for query only blocks.
>
> You are going to have to break up the blocks so that the block you which to
> insert from has a base table which is a true table, not a view.

or use the on-insert/on-update triggers to accomplish the same. refer to the Oracle document "Advanced SQL*Forms Techniques Version 3.0". Chapter 6 has a section titled "Committing Data through a Join View" -- sounds exactly like what you want to do. Bon chance.

Woody Chin
UVa. Received on Thu Jul 23 1992 - 15:13:36 CEST

Original text of this message