FAQ? Suggested Reading? Need advice...

From: Matthew Newby <newby_at_leland.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 92 03:19:57 GMT

Hello all you Oracle Gurus. I have a possible job opportunity coming up, and my main duties will involve moving a database currently on a Mac platform using some sort of network database to a Sun platform using Oracle. Problem: I know nothing about Oracle at the moment (other than the fact that it is a database of some sort). I have a very good understanding of the dBase family of languages (dBase II, III, III+, IV, Clipper, Foxpro, and FoxBase+), and of the UNIX environment (I own a couple of Sun 2s).

Question: Is there a FAQ for this newsgroup? I haven't been subscribed for very long, so I haven't seen one yet.

Question: Given my background, what would you recommend as the best reading material for me to quickly get a grasp of the basic concepts of Oracle? I would prefer any documentation available in electronic form (email or ftp is fine by me) over books that need to be purchased in a store (unemployment doesn't go quite that far).

Please reply to me by mail, as I do not read news as often as I log in :-).

Thanks in advance!

--

/\/\/\ | ----------->> newby_at_leland.stanford.edu <<-----------
/ / / __/__/_ | Rom 10:9 If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is / / / __, / / | Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him / / (_/(_\_/\_/\_ | from the dead, YOU WILL BE SAVED!