Re: Sharing of .frm files

From: Rick Dipper <rick_at_rick.cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: 21 Jul 92 11:36:21 GMT

In article <radar.246_at_busadm1.cba.hawaii.edu>, radar_at_busadm1.cba.hawaii.edu (James Johnson) writes:
|> Sorry if this was posted twice, recieved an error message on first attempt.
|>
|> Configuration Kernal 6.0.30
|> os OS/2
|> Network Novell 3.11
|>
|> Problem:
|> One of our developres wants to run .FRM, .REP, .DMU files from a
|> shared network directory. The reason for this is to make sure that
|> users are using the latest version of form, report etc.. Up til now
|> to update versions the developer has had to copy the form to the
|> endusers hard-drive. ( I know we could send the file to the users,
|> instruct them to copy it the proper directory etc.) but this is an
|> institute of higher learning, need I say more.
|>
|> To use a shared directory will allow more than one person to execute
|> a the same .frm file which lead to many headaches. Am I wrong in
|> this asumption? How do others handle distirbution of .frm files?
|>
|> Thanks in advance
|> Jim
|> UH Manoa

I just put all my .frm & .sql files in a directory & tell everyone to use them. I have never found a problem & see no reason why there should be one. All my users also are logged into the database automagicly as I have created a shell script to do that fro them to. I just have a program SAD which is the application name.

--
RICK DIPPER, Unix Systems Administrator                       rick_at_uk.ac.man.cs
Department of Computer Science, University of Manchester           061-275-5725