Re: Oracle RTSS BBOARD Summary - Part 2

From: Ron Pool <ron_p_at_empire.cce.cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1992 23:28:06 GMT

jcreight_at_us.oracle.com (Jonathan Creighton) writes:
: In article <
1992Jul1.192747.1904_at_cas.org>, lwv26_at_cas.org (Larry W. Virden) writes:
: >
: > [ RTSS BBOARD Summary deleted ]
: >
: > Are there any plans for ORACLE to make these documents available to folks
: > on Internet?
:
: As I understand it, Oracle's Support organization has objections to
: distributing these documents for free to just anybody. You'd have to contact
: them directly for details of their policy.
:
: Also, our connection to the Internet does not allow access to our internal
: network from outside, so we cannot currently provide anonymous ftp or
: other services to the Internet.

Please consider allowing telnet'ing into RTSS. We have a (legal, valid) account on the Oracle RTSS and have used it once or twice, but it is much more painful for us to dial in as opposed to telnet'ing in.

An alternative would be to press a CD-ROM with the complete RTSS and its tables and files once every couple of months.

(which brings up the question "Does Oracle really like shipping 1/4" cartridge tapes of their RDBMS to customers as opposed to CD-ROM?"; i.e., is the number of customers who get a particular release of Oracle too small to make pressing a CD-ROM per release worthwile?)

Why can't Oracle email new RTSS documents to customers with a maintenance agreement? I wouldn't mind being subscribed to such a service. It would be nice to not have to spend my valuable time looking on the RTSS for problems that others have encountered.

--
Ron Pool                              Internet: ron_p_at_empire.cce.cornell.edu
Extension Electronic Technology Group    CENET: RON POOL