Oracle interface to Data General INFOS II

From: Kim Medlin <klm_at_atlanta.dg.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 92 15:51:45 GMT

I know this is very vendor-specific (Data General), but I thought someone out there may have a solution to a seemingly sticky problem.

Consider a situation where a company has several _large_ apps written in COBOL and DG's proprietary hierarchical file management system called INFOS II. The corporate direction is toward open systems and 4GLs. Oracle is the leading 4GL contender. However, the apps are too large to convert all at once and the data is shared by all apps.

The problem is: Once app A is converted to Oracle, how can it access data that is stored in INFOS? The converse of the previous question is also an issue (I suppose the COBOL programs could utilize PRO*COBOL, but that would be messy because many existing INFOS I-O statements would have to be replaced with SQL DMLs).

Note: To my knowledge, SQL*Connect does not support INFOS II.

If you know the solution to such a situation, you may want to call me rather than reply via the net. It sometimes takes many days for a net reply to reach me.

Thanks.

--
Kim Medlin                             Email:    klm_at_atlanta.dg.com
Atlanta Systems Integration Services   CEO:      Kim Medlin:DGC

Be nice, because all we really have in this old world is each other. ... Joey the Clown, 1964
The opinions expressed herein are my own and not those of my employer.