Re: Oracle Card for Pen Windows & Mac Oracle 7

From: Donn C Young <dyoung_at_magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1992 20:34:41 GMT

In article <1992Jun23.174955.8221_at_jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu> johnk_at_jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu (John J Kuszewski) writes:
>Has anyone played with Oracle Card for Pen Windows? How do you like it?
>When will Oracle 7 be available on the Macintoy?
>

>--
>John Kuszewski
>johnk_at_jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu
>I'm not an idiot, but I play one on USENET

Whilst wandering thru a med research bldg next door to our hospital, I ran into a friend who gave me a pen-based Windows/Oracle machine developed by Frank Naeymi-Rad and David Trace at the Chicago Medical School. This system runs an Intelligent Medical Record-Entry (IMR-E) system which is intended as a front end to an expert system for diagnosis called MEDAS (Medical Emergency Decision Assistance System). The system was first developed in a Mac/HyperCard/Oracle environment then ported to a WinPen machine (NCR; 80386/8 Mb ram, 20 Mb disk).

The IMR-E system is a graphically oriented medical record; the box I played with ran history/physical exams, etc. Truly impressive even when I hadn't had the chance to "train" the pen system to my style of printing (I'm using 'style' loosely). We'll probably put a system together for checking patient eligibility for clinical trials, protocol registration,  cancer registry, lab data display on a similar system.

The NCR pen machine was ok, but the lack of a back-lit lcd display made it tough - you've got to hold the thing just so in the light; reminded me of an Etch-a-Sketch. It's supposed to hold a charge for 8 hrs. Use it during the day, then download data to a server sounds good to me.

Looks to be a future here.

Donn Young, Director, Biostatistics Unit 614 / 293-3075 Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center dyoung_at_magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu Received on Thu Jun 25 1992 - 22:34:41 CEST

Original text of this message