Re: ORACLE on RS/6000, instance limit???

From: Chuck Coulson <ccoulson_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1992 06:41:01 GMT

In article <1992Jun17.193043.27668_at_newstand.syr.edu> kcameron_at_erc.cat.syr.edu (Ken Cameron) writes:
>I just received an upgrade for our AIX system and the first line in the
>'Known Problems, Restrictions....' says
>"Do not attempt to create a multi-instance database."
>So what I want to know is why and is this fixed in 7.0?? I need to run
>about 4 instances at once to support our plans (without a total re-think)
>so if someone could provide more detail I'd be happy. Our VMS and even
>DOS products allow it, why not AIX??
>
>--
>-ken cameron. SkyDiver: Zoo-602, A-8596, D-11839. Skier.
>Employer: Computer Task Group. /cny UNIX Users Group Director.
>Disclamer: "I said it, when I said it, so what! Now is different!"
>Internet: kcameron_at_erc.cat.syr.edu

Multi-instance refers to platforms that support a shared disk system being supported by multiple CPUs. For example, a DEC VAX Cluster, or even the upcoming IBM HA/6000 configuration. (There was a post about this Oracle announcement.)

These types of configurations provide fault tolerance at the hardware level. Since multiple CPUs share a common set of disks, if one machine crashes, the other can take continue processing. ORACLE V6.2 and ORACLE V7 with the multi instance option support these environemnts.

"Multiple instances" is different than a "multi-instance database." There is no problem with what you are trying to do.

Chuck Coulson
Strategic Accounts
Oracle Corporation