Re: Automated customization of SQL*Forms ...

From: Chuck Coulson <ccoulson_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1992 21:01:57 GMT

In article <1992Jun17.130255.1526_at_synapse.bms.com> sinha_at_watson.bms.com (Anil Sinha) writes:
>Hello Everyone,
>
> I would appreciate input from anyone as to how developers have automated
>customization of SQL*Forms. Egs. if there are SQL*Forms forms in a *.inp
>files and in the Forms designer table in the database and there is a need to
>add the same code to many forms. How does one automate it ?
>
> I have seen developers use the following:
>
>a. Manually apply it.
>
>b. Write tools using programmable editors to apply changes to the *.inp files.
> egs. in VAX/VMS environment use TPU (text processing utility).
>
>c. Write tools which will generate key script input file and then apply
> these changes using the designer ( sqlforms -r <key script file> ) and
> one of the useful tools in the designer would be the copy object command.
>
> Are there any other ways to do this ?
>
> Where would one use it ?
>
> There is need if the SQL*Forms code is generated by a CASE tool and if a
>given requirement can only be met by modifying the form and this change has to
>be applied to many forms.
>
> Is there any option within the Oracle CASE tool to do the same ? (Excuse my
> ignorance)
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>Anil Sinha

 Are you using Forms 3.0? If so, there is a referencing mechism for blocks, triggers, fields, procedures, etc. By simply referencing logic from another form, or from a "library", you only need to support a single set of routines. It is common to create a form that is nothing but a set of triggers, etc, used in other forms, thus creating a library of routines.

This mechism will not automatically regenerate all of your forms, but will automaticlly include the updated routines when brought into the designer.

Anoth method would be to use Oracle's CASE Dictionary and CASE Generator products.

Chuck Coulson