Re: DBs on massively parallel machines

From: Daniel Druker <ddruker_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1992 02:08:26 GMT

In article <1992Jun17.130209.3735_at_dcatlas.dot.gov> sethg_at_dcatlas.dot.gov (Seth Grimes) writes:
>I saw a news blurb that talked about Oracle V7 as a DB for massively
>parallel machines. Taking that with the proper grain of salt -- given
>Oracle's predilection for announcing stuff LONG before it's available
>on the market and it's troubles even with SMP

Funny you ask. The following was just released yesterday. Note that we're NOT claiming this is production immediately. But we are giving a date which I expect we will make. I take offense to the comment about SMP problems - show me a product that scales better than Oracle that's out there today - or didn't you see the 26 processor number just released or the 16 processor number that's been out there for over a year ? One of competitors that claims "products revolutionally architected for scalability" only release benchmarks on up to 4 processors. Don't you wonder why that is ? Certainly not because bigger machines aren't available. What is your justification for the SMP comment ?

Oracle Parallel Server and Oracle7 have been or are being ported to many massively parallel and clustered configurations including NCR, Intel, KSR, nCube, Meiko, Parsys, Sequent Clusters, Pyramid Clusters, VAX Clusters IBM Sysplex, and many others. Some are in beta, some production, and some are futures. Ask and we'll be happy to tell you what stands where. This is a partial list and is off the top of my head - there are certainly additional efforts underway as well.

          ORACLE ANNOUNCES SUPPORT FOR IBM HACMP/6000 CLUSTERS REDWOOD SHORES, Calif., June 16,1992 -- Oracle Corporation today announced it has become the first major database vendor to support IBM's new High Availability Clustered Multi-Processing 6000 (HACMP/6000). ORACLE7, incorporating Parallel Server technology, for the IBM HACMP/6000 will take full advantage of the loosely coupled, cooperative server architecture provided by IBM.
        "We believe that many of our customers will begin implementing business critical information systems on clustered open systems," said Jerry Baker, senior vice president of Oracle's Product Line Divisions. "Oracle's Parallel Server technology for clustered systems delivers the full processing power of the HACMP/6000 against a single database."

        "We are pleased that Oracle has announced support for the AIX HACMP/6000," said Jeff Mason, IBM's Advanced Workstations and AIX Systems director. "The combination of the IBM software and ORACLE7 incorporating the Parallel Server will provide customers with continuous availability of data for their critical business applications."

        The ORACLE Parallel Server is designed to take full advantage of the benefits of clustered systems. While other data management solutions require a physical partitioning of data between systems, the ORACLE Parallel Server provides high performance and high data availability in a single database environment. Current ORACLE applications can transparently move from non-clustered to clustered environments to gain the advantages of the IBM HACMP/6000 architecture.

Pricing and Availability

        ORACLE for IBM HACMP/6000 is expected to be generally available in the fourth quarter of this year. Pricing begins at $15,360 for a 16 user cluster license.

  • Dan

Daniel Druker
Senior Consultant
Oracle Corporation

| Dan Druker                    |  work 415.506.4803                          |
| oracle*mail ddruker.us1       |  internet: ddruker_at_us.oracle.com            |

Disclaimer: These are my opinions and mine alone, and don't reflect the views or position of my employer. Received on Thu Jun 18 1992 - 04:08:26 CEST

Original text of this message