Re: Installation requirments for V.6 on PC??

From: Hari Seldon <bill_at_chaos.cs.umn.edu>
Date: 3 Jun 92 18:09:01 GMT

bmb_at_artemis.cs.wayne.edu (Amir M. Baig) writes:

>Hello Netters,

>I need the following information about Oracle V.6 for IBM PC(DOS 3.x)
this is all from memory, so part of it may be off a bit.

> 1. Do we need 386-SX or 386-DX for V6?

                         ^^^^     ^^will work but you'll soon be after a dx

> 2. Total extended memory required for all tools installed?
if i recall correctly, forms uses the largest amount ~2.5 mb + ~1.8mb for the database + whatever you've added to the sga.

> 3. Total extented mem. required if only SQL*forms is installed?
if you mean to run locally then see above, if you mean to run against a remote datbase then subtract the rdbms and sga values and add in ~150k for sql*net (this i can't quite remember but sounds about right) + whatever your network driver takes us. ~120-150k.

> 4. Total Hard disk space required for all tools installed?
once again from memory, ~25+-2mb, be sure that this subsystem is fast.

> 5. Min. satisfactory clock speed ? 16,20,25 MHz.
depends on what your used to, this is always a subjective topic. if i'm on an at for a while its one thing. if i'm by my lonesome on a server its another. but heres a suggestion (assuming a moderate? level of development and data (growth):
386dx-40
8+mb
200mb <18ms hard disk
cacheing controller w/2mb of cache
some type of intellegent video (not that you need it but you don't want to spend cp cycles drawing the screen when they could be used to process your requests)

>Thanks in advance.

why? this is only as good as my memory, and thats been proven to have some pretty bad days. :-)

bill pociengel

--
bill_at_chaos.cs.umn.edu