Embedding PL/SQL with C, using method 4 ?

From: Tapio Luukkanen <vtl_at_tik.vtt.fi>
Date: 29 May 92 19:47:24 GMT

Good afternoon,

We have a useful little module to process any single SQL statement with dynamic SQL method 4.

But, building 'transactions', ie. modules that consist of SQL statements and random logic to validate and/or prepare these statements is not elegant (at least in C).

PL/SQL could be one answer, only it seems that we would have to write embedded PL/SQL, and with over hundred (maybe hundreds of) different 'transactions' this would quickly become a mess.
So, we *must* have the transaction logic separated from the C code. A clean C interface to the transactions is a must, too.

Having tested a little, it seems that I can't yet find out if it is possible to use dynamic SQL method 4 with PL/SQL or not. Does anybody know ?

We are now considering whether to
implement a little programming language, like PL/SQL but with a cleaner interface to C, or
try to use PL/SQL with C, perhaps building the Pro*C modules automatically from some external representation.

So, we would be grateful to hear from your experiences of using PL/SQL embedded in C. Other approaches are welcomed, too.

Tapio

--

! tapio luukkanen ! vtl_at_hemuli.tik.vtt.fi (130.188.52.2)
! home (358-0) 811 211 ! work 456 6056