Re: archive logs

From: Dave Schmitt <daves_at_techmpc.csg.gss.mot.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1992 16:20:26 GMT

In article <1992May22.210932.3999_at_bigbrd.agchem.redwater.iol.ca> peg2ajp_at_bigbrd.agchem.redwater.iol.ca (Andy Paradis ) writes:

>I interested to hear some opinions on the archive logs in Oracle. I've
>a few grumblings from some sources who say that it's not worth the
>trouble. Any thoughts on this in netland?

We once had corruption caused by a data file and a swap area on the same slice ( yeah, signals got crossed :-{ ). In this instance the archive logs were invaluable. We were able to restore and not lose a transaction.

In general, if you have many interactive users who would find it difficult to re-create their work [database changes], then archive logs become more attractive.

If you only update the database with "batch" jobs that are easily re-run, then archive logging may not be worth it.

BTW, we still do cold backups, since the archive logs and the database backup are on different tapes, and we don't want a missing archive logs tape to prevent a restore (which can happen with a hot backup).

--
David Schmitt, Systems Administrator		Voice: (708)632-5562
Cellular Subscriber Group MIS			FAX:   (708)632-4421