Re: checking sqldba return status

From: Aniruddha Kortikar <kortikar_at_mipos2.intel.com>
Date: 23 May 92 00:03:16 GMT

In article <58670_at_hydra.gatech.EDU> scott_at_prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) writes:
> .... stuff deleted ...

>Well, this doesn't seem to work. Apparently sqldba always returns an
>exit status 0 - even if the startup (or whatever command we give it)
>fails. This seems like a rather pin headed thing to do - especially since
>many example procedural scripts provided by oracle do exactly the same
>type of operations.

Oracle does not seem to like the idea of anything other than success! As if this is alone is not sufficient sqlplus does not even give the error message on stderr. Everything comes on stdout.

Oracle does not seem to consider concepts such as exit status and stderr important. (If I remember it correctlt these problems are there since 5.x)

for example on my UNIX machine following will also return 0 !

echo "selt * from dual" | sqlplus -s scott/tiger >/dev/null echo $? will return 0
and nothing is displayed on tty

I find it hard to believe that nobody in Oracle noticed this for last 3-4 years

I hope there is some reason. ("Feature is a bug with seniority!")

would somebody from oracle like to explain.

has this been fixed in Oracle V7 ?

Aniruddha Kortikar (kortikar_at_mipos2.intel.com)

EXEC BEGIN DECLARE SECTION;		|
EXEC INCLUDE "standard.disclaimer"	|
EXEC END DECLARE SECTION;		|