Can DBAs grant privileges.... on user tables

From: Anil Sinha <sinha_at_watson.bms.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1992 22:04:00 GMT

Could some kind soul in the net world provide some explanation ....

Oracle User CTSCODES has a table object ICDA4. There are no grant privileges on the object.

Oracle user CMIPS has DBA privileges. When I tried the following GRANT sql statement from CMIPS account:

GRANT select on CTSCODES.ICDA4 to PUBLIC;

                         *

ORA-00942: table or view doesn't exist

(there is no typo error and IDDA4 table is owned by CTSCODES).

Checked the SQL language manual which states: "You must own the database object, have been granted GRANT OPTION on the object, or have the DBA privilege"

After this I thought lets see what can I can I find in the trace file. So I started the trace within SQL*PLUS:

ALTER SESSION SET SQL_TRACE TRUE I found the following sql statement in the trace file.

select grantor# from tabauth$ start with grantee# = :1 and obj#=:2 connect by grantee#=prior grantor# and grantee#!=grantor# and obj#=:2 for update of grantor#

Which makes me think as to where is the code to check for DBA privileges ...

I also tried the same using SYS account but got the same errors.

Am I missing something or is it because its Friday afternoon ....

Thanks.

Anil Sinha Received on Sat May 23 1992 - 00:04:00 CEST

Original text of this message