info about Oracle needed

From: Shiping Zhang <ping_at_bnlux1.bnl.gov>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1992 13:48:38 GMT

  We are setting up a database for data from a genome project.   We will install the database server on a Sun SPARCstation (the   newest model just announced). Now we are about to make decision   as to what database server to purchase. Sybase is one that came   to our mind naturally. But after several month of plays with   one installed on a SPARC in another building, we found a lot   of things we don't like or couldn't find things we like. So   before we make the final decision, we like to find out if   Sybase is the best choice for our database. Now Oracle is one   we like to look into it. Could anyone give me any info about it?   First of all, we like to know if Oracle supports Sun SPARCstation, if   not, what machines (and OS) it supports. Then if anyone has experiences   with both Sybase and Oracle, we'll appreciate some sort of comparison   between them. Third, we like to have the price info, including the   service contract. Thanks for any help.

  If anyone from Oracle reads this and likes to send me some printed   documents about Oracle, my postal address is

  Shiping Zhang
  Bldg 463, BNL
  Upton, NY 11973

-ping