SQL*Forms 3.0 Trigger Trouble

From: Schillinger <rz34_at_hp850.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Date: 20 May 92 07:28:17 GMT

I hope someone can help me, a beginner! (I got some great advice the last time I asked.)

I'm creating a query-only form which should list the name of an institute (block 1 - master) and its corresponding computer users (block 2 - detail). Very simple. But the detail block is made up of two fields from one table and three non-base table fields from another table. (I had to do this, because there was no key to directly connect the institute table to the names table.)

In order to fill these three non-base table fields in the detail block, I made a Post-Change trigger:
begin
select lastname,firstname,descrip
into :detail_block.lastname,:detail_block.firstname,:detail_block.descrip from names_table
where :detail_block.key = names_table.key; exception

    when no_data_found then :detail_block.lastname:= '-';     when form_trigger_failure then null; ====> Note: Maybe someone

						 could tell me what that
						 null does!

end;

The problem is that as soon as I come to an institute (master) which has no users (detail), I get my - in the lastname field, but then nothing else happens. I can't move to next record or previous record. I don't care if an institute has no users and what to be able to just go on, but as I understand, as soon as exception occurs, the triggers stops. I want to be able to go on when [Next record] or [Previous record] are pressed.

I think my trouble lies in the no_data_found part, but I don't know what else to say there.

Can someone help?

Thanks in advance. Received on Wed May 20 1992 - 09:28:17 CEST

Original text of this message