Problems with SQL*FORMS 3.0

From: marc.colten <colten_at_cbnewsb.cb.att.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1992 19:43:07 GMT

I have just started designing in ORACLE on a Sun workstation. I'm up to my neck in books on SQL*PLUS, SQL*FORMS, etc. etc. and they don't tell me some things that I need to do. I've called the help line and it took them 24 hours to return my first call and I'm still waiting on the second. If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong I will appreciate it.

I am working on a learning project and created several tables in SQL*PLUS. I then went into SQL*FORMS and attempted to manipulate them. I made one the master block and another the detail block, but it isn't working. I now want to delete the detail block, but the documentation does not even mention this. I've deleted (through Screen Painter (another dog)) both fields in that block, but the block itself will not go away.

I want to get back to some of the attributes of a detail block, but they appear to be inaccessiable. That is, in the default block screen I created a master-detail relationship with a "join". Those options now appear carved in granite. How can I get to them and change them?

Sometimes the menu options will simply stop working. For example, I'll be in the field definition table and want to switch to something else. Nothing responds. All the options are in clear type but nothing happens when I choose them. I discovered by accident that the only way to use any of the options is to choose "VIEW", switch to "FORM" and then everything works. Very tedious. Is there a better way?

I've found that the only way I can go from block to block, or from page to page in a block is to go back to a higher menu and down again. Is there a shortcut?

Sometimes the "buttons" in the field attributes seem to mean "ON" when they are checked and sometimes they mean "OFF" when they are checked. I mean the same buttons. For example - I checked the "display" and "input allowed" buttons and got the "input field must be displayed" message. (BTW am I the only one who wants to track down and kill the designer of the "alert stop" message?) So I go and turn the input allowed off and it took it and allowed input! Anyone else see this?

Anyway that's all I've found after a couple of days. I suppose that once I really get into it - it will really be crazy. If anyone has any answers or suggestions please E-MAIL them to me. I just don't have the time on usenet I used to.

thanks,

marc colten Received on Thu May 14 1992 - 21:43:07 CEST

Original text of this message