Re: Oracle V7 is here

From: Daniel Druker <ddruker_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1992 05:09:43 GMT

>>Now available on VAX VMS, and many other platforms by the end of the month.
>>

>Could you define "Now available". At DECUS last week (after you posted
>this) ORACLE reps were talking about V7 but refusing to give an
>availability date.

I hope this clears up any confusion. I just finished a 25 gigabyte benchmark of V7, and found it to be very fast and stable. - Dan

  • Dan

ORACLE SHIPS V.7 DEVELOPERS RELEASE; V.7 DATABASE MEETS QUALITY EXPECTATIONS   REDWOOD SHORES, Calif: Oracle Corporation today announced the immediate availability and shipment of the Developers Release for ORACLE V.7. The product is available on Digital VAX/VMS, Sun SunOS, HP HP-UX, Sequent DYNIX/ptx and Pyramid DC/OSx to third-party developers and customers.

  The V.7 Developers Release offers all of the features that will be available in the production release of ORACLE V.7, along with full documentation and the related software development tools. With this early release, independent database developers can begin building V.7 applications. Additionally, Oracle customers can migrate existing applications to begin using the advanced functionality of V.7.

  ``Oracle is delighted to make this software available to all of our licensed customers free of charge to give them a head start on V.7 application development,'' said Ken Jacobs, vice president of RDBMS marketing for Oracle Corporation. ``Oracle has set high standards for the quality of this product. Feedback based on V.7's reliability, functionality and performance from our customers in the V.7 Alliance Program reinforces that this product is ready for the next phase in its roll out.''

  ``I am impressed,'' said John Black, a system architect in the New Vector Group, a cellular-communications subsidiary of US WEST, Inc. in Bellevue, Wash. ``Oracle's corporate policies concerning product quality have paid off. The first time that we turned the system on, we were up and running.''

  In August 1991, the initial V.7 testing began with Oracle customers participating in the company's V.7 Alliance Program. With this program, companies from around the world have been working with a pre-release version of ORACLE V.7 in a variety of industries including financial services, aerospace, petrochemicals, manufacturing, insurance and telecommunications.

  ``Our V.7 Alliance Program members are exploiting the new features in core business applications,'' said Jacobs. ``One site has developed an application for insurance claim tracking that stores business rules directly in the DBMS -- utilizing both the V.7 stored procedures and declarative integrity capabilities. This is just one instance of the real world tests our customers have been conducting.''

  Technical Support and Training

  Oracle began V.7 training and education classes for third-parties in the first quarter of 1992. The V.7 Developer's Release will be supported by Oracle's Worldwide Support Organization.

  ``Support has been preparing for this phase of the roll out program for the past six months,'' said Ian Thacker, Oracle's vice president customer services, Worldwide Distribution. ``This massive training and support mobilization is imperative to our quality program. We are all excited about V.7 and will continue to incorporate feedback into the production product.''

| Dan Druker                    |  work 415.506.4803                          |
| oracle*mail ddruker.us1       |  internet: ddruker_at_us.oracle.com            |

Disclaimer: These are my opinions and mine alone, and don't reflect the views or position of my employer. Received on Thu May 14 1992 - 07:09:43 CEST

Original text of this message