Re: ReportWriter memory problem with long reports

From: <jaakola_at_cc.helsinki.fi>
Date: 12 May 92 15:19:38 GMT

In article <1992May9.191747.1_at_cc.helsinki.fi>, I wrote:
> I'm using an ancient version of ReportWriter (namely
> 1.1.8; even PCs have 1.1.12 nowadays) on an ancient platform (Unisys
> U6000 UNIX System V version 3.00 release 12.15 with Oracle RDBMS
> 6.0.27.7.1)
 [stuff deleted]
> I have a BIG report which results in a 1600000 byte listing file.
 [stuff explaining a summary deleted]
> Before this the report worked just fine, but after this THE MEMORY IMAGE
> OF THE REPORTWRITER INCREASES RAPIDLY, until at about 18000000 bytes the
> process aborts and dumps a core file of 18000000 bytes! I guess the
> system runs out of swap space. The amount of memory needed seems to be
> proportional to the listing file size. I followed the increase of memory
> image via the ps -l command and file growth - when SRW printed 100K
> more, the memory image grew by about 1.2 MB.
 [more stuff deleted]
> The report uses many fields with source &SQL - could this be the cause
> of the problem? Maybe those (or some other SRW construct) allocates
> memory which it forgets to free???

Well, the summaries seem to be innocent. The real trouble is with having fields with source of type &SQL, I think. Have anyone else discovered the same bug? Does the bug still exist in version 1.1.12 of SRW? I called Oracle Finland and the told me to upgrade to version 1.1.12, but they couldn't promise that &SQL doesn't have any flaws in that version...

I would love to be able to create a field - say ratio - with source of an expression such as ":field_one / :field_two" - or maybe "DECODE(:field_two, 0,NULL, :field_one / :field_two)"!

--
Juhani Jaakola, jaakola_at_cc.helsinki.fi