Re: Re: ex

From: Brian T. Walker <bwalker_at_sumax.seattleu.edu>
Date: 7 May 92 18:43:52 GMT

>In article <...> cooper_at_beno.CSS.GOV (Dale Cooper) writes:
>>In article <...> lockhart_at_kscdl1.ksc.nasa.gov writes:
>
>1. You didn't grant RESOURCE to user jones. As a DBA, issue:
>
> SQL> grant connect,resource to jones identified by ...;

Just a thought, but generally it is better NOT to grant blanket resource to a user. The following would probably be preferred:

        SQL> grant connect to jones identified by pword;
        SQL> grant resource on your_tablespace;
        SQL> alter user jones default tablespace your_tablespace;

Granted there are valid reasons for other methods, but, this has some definite advantages. 'grant connect,resource' gives the user unlimited resource to create objects in any tablespace. This could become an issue if you had a separate tablespace for system and the user decides to fill it with his/her data - thus causing problems for everyone in the database.

>>Can somebody out there help me? I know this is a really stupid, stupid
>>problem, but we all have to learn sometime, eh? :-)
>
>Now, calm down there Susy. Take a deep breath and start over. It's like you
>said, quite stupid but you need to understand what is happening here.

Isn't the patronizing tone a little too much here?? As Susy indicates most of use weren't born with the in depth knowlege of how Oracle works (is any question stupid if it gets information we don't know?).

>Have everybody get out of the database.

Everybody?? Why anybody?? Altering a user or granting resources is dynamic (excluding connect in which case they couldn't connect anyway) and the user doesn't need to log out.

>If the table is successfully created, issue the command:
>
> SQL> select * from tabs;

Why not:

        SQL> select * from user_tables;

Since 'tabs' is a v5 carry-over that most people probably don't use anymore.

Sorry if I'm flaming a bit, but after all, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

Brian

--
Brian Walker
bwalker_at_sumax.seattleu.edu