Re: ex

From: Dale Cooper <cooper_at_beno.CSS.GOV>
Date: 7 May 92 17:19:02 GMT

In article <1992May7.113250.1_at_kscdl1.ksc.nasa.gov> lockhart_at_kscdl1.ksc.nasa.gov writes:
>Got a question for you experienced databasers out there...

[stuff deleted]

>My system mgr set up an instance for me...

[more stuff deleted]

>Then I used sqlforms to set up the form...no problem so far.
>After that, I inserted a few records, and everything was working great.
>Until I tried to add a user. First I tried "grant connect to jones identified
>by whatever;"...but this user can't insert into the database.

Possible problems:

  1. You didn't grant RESOURCE to user jones. As a DBA, issue:

        SQL> grant connect,resource to jones identified by ...;

2. She tried to insert data into a table that didn't belong to her.

        As owner of the table, issue:

        SQL> grant all on table_name to jones;

        If she's inserting from her account into yours she must either say:

        SQL> insert into myaccount.table ...;

Or you may even wish to create a public synonym so she doesn't have to include the "myaccount." prefix. It's up to you.

>So then I tried
>"grant all on tapelog to jones;", but she *still* can't insert.

I'm afraid that you dn't provide enough info here. What error message was generated? Where is the target table? ... Is she inserting from her account into yours?

>Then I got really confused and just started trying anything, including defining
>jones' default tablespace as tapes, and giving her resource.

                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[more stuff deleted]

>*I* can insert, she can't. I tried making jones a dba, but she still can't
>insert. I fixed the system ACL's, but that wasn't it.

[even more stuff deleted]

>Can somebody out there help me? I know this is a really stupid, stupid
>problem, but we all have to learn sometime, eh? :-)

Now, calm down there Susy. Take a deep breath and start over. It's like you said, quite stupid but you need to understand what is happening here.

Have everybody get out of the database.
Go in as SYS, SYSTEM or another DBA account. Reissue the grant statement. This won't do anything to what has already been done.

        SQL> grant connect,resource to jones identified by ...;

Exit SYS (whatever).
Have user jones log in.
Try to create a table.
If the table is successfully created, issue the command:

        SQL> select * from tabs;

	This should display information about the table such as where it
	resides, how big the initial extent...

	The table should reside in her default tablespace.

If this doesn't work, there is something else that you need to tell us.

>Thanks you guys.

You're welcome.

Make sure that you check out the command syntax for GRANT. The DBA guide does a fine job of explaining the difference between GRANT form 1, 2 and 3. This is where a lot of new folks get confused.

Keep in mind. Oracle is not an easy beast to master in a week.

> | email: lockhart_at_kscdl1.ksc.nasa.gov |

Dale Cooper, DBA
Center for Seismic Studies
Arlington, VA Received on Thu May 07 1992 - 19:19:02 CEST

Original text of this message