ex

From: <lockhart_at_kscdl1.ksc.nasa.gov>
Date: 7 May 92 16:32:50 GMT

Got a question for you experienced databasers out there. I'm new at this, and still trying to figure out what's going on. I know for you guys, this question'll be really dumb, and you'll be saying "I remember when I didn't know anything...", but here goes anyway:

My system mgr set up an instance for me. He created the database and rollback segments, and gave me dba privilege (probably a mistake!). So I created a tablespace and a table. Here's the scripts I used:

	CREATE TABLESPACE TAPES
           DATAFILE 'ORA_OPS_TAPES.DBS' SIZE 1M
           DEFAULT STORAGE (INITIAL 20K NEXT 20K  ---> don't ask me why i
                            PCTINCREASE 50)            used these storage
           ONLINE;                                     parameters...i'm
and                                                    making this up as
	CREATE TABLE TAPELOG (                         i go along!
	   LOGNUM NUMBER(4) NOT NULL,

.
.
.
DESCRIPTION CHAR(40)) TABLESPACE TAPES;

Then I used sqlforms to set up the form...no problem so far. After that, I inserted a few records, and everything was working great. Until I tried to add a user. First I tried "grant connect to jones identified by whatever;"...but this user can't insert into the database. So then I tried "grant all on tapelog to jones;", but she *still* can't insert.

Then I got really confused and just started trying anything, including defining jones' default tablespace as tapes, and giving her resource. *I* can insert, she can't. I tried making jones a dba, but she still can't insert. I fixed the system ACL's, but that wasn't it.

When I "select * from user_tab_grants" or "...user_tab_grants_made", jones shows up. When I "select * from user_tab_grants_recd", no rows are selected. These stupid books don't help either, unless you already know what you're doing.

Can somebody out there help me? I know this is a really stupid, stupid problem, but we all have to learn sometime, eh? :-)

Thanks you guys.

--
 |    Susy    |  EG&G is not responsible for my opinions.  Neither is NASA.   |