How can I rebuild my database offline?

From: <suskind_at_bbs.mdcbbs.com>
Date: 30 Apr 92 06:17:40 GMT

I would like to perform an upgrade of my Oracle database running on SCO UNIX. I was given this system aready built and running. The original DBA used all the defaults. Consequently I have only one tablespace and one rollback segment, and there does not seem to be anything but the default logging either.

I will do the upgrade on a test system, offline from my production work so users are not interrupted. I will just take a system dump of the production system to give me something to work with. Since I do not think the defaults provide a good configuration, I will change the database configurations. I would like to split the files accross the two disks I have on the SCO system, create multiple tablespaces, etc. I would like to take my time and get a nice clean install and a good configuration so performance doesn't suffer.

However, if I do this offline and move tables to different tablespaces, once I am done I will have to update my offline system with what has been changed on the production system. Can I now do a system export of the current production database and import into the new database bring everything up to date?

Barry A. Suskind                  Internet:   suskind%edoras_at_mdcbbs.com
MaBell: 703-560-5000x2348             UUCP: uunet!mdcbbs!edoras!suskind
E-Systems / Melpar Division 7700 Arlington Blvd, Falls Church, VA 22046
JSNM                                             Just Stark Naked Magic