Re: Very Large Databases

From: Hari Seldon <bill_at_chaos.cs.umn.edu>
Date: 21 Apr 92 12:40:51 GMT

asb_at_voodoo.boeing.com (Anthony Bastian) writes:

> We will have a large database that will store 25 gigabytes
>of graphical data. What experiences have others had in dealing with
>such a large amount of data? Logically, all of our data could belong
>to one table but is that a wise thing to do? Also, what tips/techniques
>could you offer concerning recovery and backups? The Oracle database will
>be on a Silicon Graphics fileserver (UNIX). Thanks in advance.

whew. and i though we were shoehorning a system together(10-15gb on a rs6k mod 550). what we're doing is backing up in a neutral format: ie tar of the whole thing.
why? becuse this will get me back on line the fastest, if we lose the database. one must remember the gotchas with the log files and if all the little files in oracle get outa sync? well theres nasty warnins all our the place (my employer won't let me try some disaster plans on this kind of stuff). would it be wise to shove it all in one table? think on this: data in one table, can't backup only a part of the data (as easily), harder to restore only part of the data when someone (as they will) deletes something they'd wish they hadn't. thats a couple for now, if i think (yea sometimes i've been accused of doing that :-) ) of any others i'll drop you a line.

bill pociengel
hey my opinions belong to no one least of all me.

--
bill_at_chaos.cs.umn.edu