Re: SQL Forms 3.0 and displaying linked list info?

From: Thomas Myers <irving_at_casbah.acns.nwu.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1992 14:12:55 GMT

In <1992Apr16.175704.23378_at_cas.org> lwv26_at_cas.org (Larry W. Virden) writes:

>I am hoping to find a neat way to do the following.

>I have an employee type database which has the following as a portion of
>its information:

>Employee ID Employee Name Employee Manager ID

>100 John Doe 90
>90 Charlie Brown 80
>91 Alvin Chipmunk 70
>80 Calvin Hobbes 70
>70 Dick Tracy 10
>10 Gary Larson 0

[description of needing to build a form which lists an employee and all managers...]

Try using a simple select with the CONNECT BY clause. Displaying this sort of hierarchical data is what it is designed to do.

Look in you SQL language reference manual.

--
Tom Myers, Programmer/Analyst				Email: t-myers_at_nwu.edu
Reingold ECG Center - Northwestern University