ORACLE SQL*Forms3.0 keymapping questions

From: Jay G. Williamson <hjgwi_at_usho92.hou281.chevron.com>
Date: 16 Apr 92 15:41:15 GMT

    I am looking for folks that have developed, bought, tried to or have in some way resolved the keymapping problems for ORACLE SQL*Forms3.0 applications. This includes home grown, purchased from ORACLE or another vendor. We are currently using the ORACLE CASE Tools based on SQL*Forms3.0 and developing applications for end-users that are SQL*Forms3.0 based. Most of our users (whether programmers, dba, or end-users) operate in an X-windows environment. This includes DEC workstations , NCD and Tektronics x-terminals, and PCs using Hummingbird's eXceed software and IBM's OS/2 X emulation software. Some of our "problems" are created by the application user selecting the "Customize" pull-down menu from their X-window and remapping their keys dynamically. This causes us to have an unknown state when the application is beginning. These keys are the Escape, asciitilde, less greater, comma and period keys. Since these can be customized by the end user prior to use of say the CASE Tools, our current solution has been that suggested by RTSS ( ORACLE CASE support). In a pre-execution script the user selects his terminal type from a pre-defined list. The xmodmap utility (X11 usupported) is used to map to a known state--the one that the resource file is expecting. The application can then be started with a known keymap state and with a specific resource file (our default is for vt220). Currently we are using OracleTerminal to create new keymap definitions for ascii terminals and xterms. We are limiting the keyboards, emulation software, X clients, etc. to a standardized list to facilitate maintenaince. Looking for suggestions, tales of woe, etc.

Please respond to me and I will summarize if there is any interest.

--
Jay Williamson         Office: 2301 Hayes Rd.      Phone: 713-596-3139
UNIX Sys Admin         Houston, Tx                 hjgwi_at_hou281.chevron.com