SQL Forms 3.0 and displaying linked list info?

From: Larry W. Virden <lwv26_at_cas.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1992 17:50:52 GMT

I am hoping to find a neat way to do the following.

I have an employee type database which has the following as a portion of its information:

Employee ID Employee Name Employee Manager ID

100			John Doe		90
90			Charlie Brown		80
91			Alvin Chipmunk		70
80			Calvin Hobbes		70
70			Dick Tracy		10
10			Gary Larson		0

Now, what I need to be able to do is build a form where the user can enter a portion of the employee name, and that employee appears , along with all of the managers from that point on down - for instance, if I entered

Name: Brown

and hit Execute query, I could get:

Name: Charlie Brown

	Calvin Hobbes
	Dick Tracy
	Gary Larson

Actually, I would rather the order be the other way, but I could live with the above.

Now, there surely is some way using PL/SQL to code a loop to do this, but I am stymied on how I could define things.

For instance, there could be multiple hits for Brown. Thus, what I really want to do is retrive all of the names, and then, some how, using triggers, fill in (or blank out) the rest of the fields as appropriate.

Anyone have any good pointers as to where to look for help in something like this?

Thanks!

--
Larry W. Virden			UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lvirden
Same Mbox: BITNET: lwv26_at_cas    INET: lvirden_at_cas.org